Monday, June 8, 2009

Low fat high fiber and delicious salad thing

I'm eating this by the pound. It's a little drastic on the GI system at first but I'm convinced I'll get over it. Anyhow, it's delicious, interesting and pretty which counts the most. It might be my new go-to for parties and tailgating at polo.

Supplies:
  • 1 Kohlrabi. Medium size. Google it, it's a good one to know.
  • 1 Beet, same size as your kohlrabi, or 2 small ones Golden beets might be prettier in this. I'm undecided.
  • carrots. Don't be shy
  • Kale. A bunch. there is no science to kale, just know that it shrinks way more than you think. Maybe a bunch, or just less than half a bag. Whatever makes your skirt fly up.
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Agave or honey
  • Flaxseed oil. Optional but adds a delicious nutty yumminess
Get a cheese grater if you're cheap, a mandoline or food processor if you're fancy. Grate the carrot, kohlrabi, beet (incidentally, any of these is also delicious atop a real salad and makes beets palatable even though I find them vaguely gross in big pieces)

Steam the kale for 10-15 minutes. strain, rinse with cold water and squeeze the hell out of it. Then put the green lump on your cutting board and chop the shit out of it. Small pieces are key, and you don't want big stems. The big stems are like impossible to digest. I won't tell you how I know (you're welcome)

Mix the kale with the beet, kohlrabi and carrot mixture. Pour some balsamic, some agave and some flaxseed oil on top. I can be no more specific that that, to each their own, etc. Don't overdo it though, you can't take it back!

Toss well.

Go to town.

No comments: